Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sort of Like Origami Lego...


I recently got back into making paper stars (the phases come and go) and found it a great way to pass the time during long bus rides and waiting in dental offices. However, there is only so much you can do with a paper star so after filling two large jars with my recent efforts, I started looking for something else I could do during those pockets of time. It had to be portable, fairly simple, involve no tools but still be something I felt was worth doing. 3D origami was perfect: I could fold the little triangles during my commute (or discreetly during lectures : P) and then put the models together when I got home.

This fellow is my first creation:



Dimensions: 16 x 7.5 x 7.5 cm
Materials: White paper, red paper, black cardstock, red cardstock
Tools: knife, glue, hole puncher  
Time to Make: ~7 hours 

I am rather proud of his eyes – they have that slightly droopy ‘precious moments’ look to them. I pulled ideas from various designs to create him. I am quite pleased with how he turned out although he probably would look better with a more defined neck. He was originally going to be all white but that ended up looking rather odd so I added a few layers of red. It made a huge difference. This one was a gift for a family friend. That’s really the best thing for me to do with my diversions – the fun’s already been had in the making.


No comments:

Post a Comment