Thursday, March 26, 2015

Do you want to build a snowman?


Meet Johann!


"Do you want to build a snowman? Come on, let's go and play!"

If you don't recognize those words, you have clearly been hibernating. (It's from Frozen, by the way.) My aunt asked me why I didn't name him Olaf and that's because he looks nothing like Olaf! Instead, my sister named him Johann - we're going for a German feel.

His head and body was made from some off-white/grey scrap paper that I found eons ago. I had assembled the bulk of him a while back but had never gotten around to putting on features. I had originally thought of making him a mouse or bear but then ran out of paper for a snout. He has been sitting on my shelf, featureless and collecting dust for over a year now. I finally gathered enough motivation to put him together last month. His hat was by far the most challenging. That messy collection of paper strips is held together by glue and hope.




I was pleasantly surprised by how absolutely adorable he is. I debated for the longest time whether I should give him arms because he looked rather cute without them. I posed the question to my brother on whim and he replied, "Not all snowmen have arms. Maybe he lost them in a snowstorm accident." That's right. Johann, my paraplegic snowman. As you can see, in the end, I decided an amputee snowman was too avant-garde and stuck on a pair of arms. His upraised hands give him a bit more joie de vivre [I'm just full of French phrases this week :)]




Now compare him to this work of art:


The fifteenth member of our Career Group retreat proudly looking out to the lake behind our cottage. :)

Okay, maybe this guy doesn't quite have Johann's bright dewy eyes but I will admit, there were a lot more laughs in making him (or her. To be honest, I'm not sure what he/she is...).

Don't you just want to build a snowman? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment