Thursday, March 12, 2015

Throw-Back Thursday: My First Sweater Vest

The lighting was really nice over the weekend, so we finally got around to taking pictures of some of my old knitting projects. 

My first sweater, a cropped yellow cardigan has since been unravelled because I didn't like it and never wore it. This vest was my second sweater project and much more of a success. I'm really happy with how it turned out and I've worn it several times since knitting it. 

I used the ever popular Heather Hoodie Pattern from the Fall 2009 issue of Knitscene. My yarn was thinner than what was called for in the pattern, so I compensated by using the directions for one of the medium sizes. I also didn't have enough yarn for a hood so I made a crewneck collar instead. In retrospect, this was probably a better idea anyway, since if I'm honest with myself, I never actually use the hoods on my hoodies anyway. 


Please excuse the way the collar is puckering. It usually sits flatter. 

The yarn I used came from my mom's yarn stash. She had bought it about twenty years ago. My grandmother had picked it out for a vest at the time. (I guess yarn-hoarding runs in the family) It's a really interesting grey. The yarn itself is a light grey, but it's also threaded through with white and these flecks of different colours. I haven't seen any yarn that's similar to it. 



This vest was finished probably about two years ago, but it's held up really well - no pilling or holes or anything. It looks the same as it did fresh off the needles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment