Thursday, January 9, 2014

Baby Showers! So Cute...

Two weeks ago, a friend had a baby shower. My sister and I bought her a plush giraffe with a matching blanket. We found out from my friend’s sister-in-law that the gift would match their nursery which had a large giraffe sticker on the wall. Well, to make it a complete matching set,  of course I had to make a giraffe card to go with it!

I copied the giraffe from a baby shower card I saw on the internet. Animals and pastel colours are the staple of baby-related paraphernalia. I can see why: the combination is so adorable!  The next time I draw a cartoon for a card though, I'll be sure to use a thicker pen for the outlines. I used a thin line sharpie the first time and then tried to thicken things with a brush pen. I have mixed feelings about the result. I coloured the giraffe in with coloured pencil and keenly felt my lack of practise. The finished image was not as smooth as I would have liked however, I do like the blended colours. Overall, I am quite pleased with how cute he is. I added a stamped sprig of leaves to balance things out.

I used Disney font for the words and freehanded them. If I had planned things out a little better, I would have left a wider yellow strip on the left. Luckily, I could still get everything to fit properly on the card. Lesson learned: plan out card before gluing any of the elements down.


I am fond of cards that open horizontally. 
A stamped element inside the card livens things up doesn't it?

The previous two pictures were scanned but these two were taken by my camera.

I think my card looks a little better in the photos than the scans because you cannot see the subtle imperfections. (Ah, the wonders of a little lack of clarity ; P)


Materials: Pastel yellow cardstock, white cardstock, green with white polka dots acid free paper from the amy tangerine® American Crafts™ paper pad,

Tools:  scissors, ruler, Exacto knife, Recollections™ clear stamps, coloured pencils, Martha Stewart Crafts™ stamps

Time to Make: 2.5 hours

I had not pulled out my card making supplies in a while and so I was a little surprised to see how much I had. I really should not be since I bought it all *grin*. Clearly, this is a sign I really need to craft more to bring down my stash.


No comments:

Post a Comment